Athletes are always looking how to optimise performance in their sport. With life often busy trying to work, train and have enough energy for home life can be a big ask.
It is not a surprise when we hear athletes training hard and then finding that they can not perform at their best when competing, training or recovering.
Both Nutrition and Hydration are key parts of the jigsaw
Do you suffer with cramps when training or racing in the heat? Do you feel that you struggle to recover well after longer, harder sessions when sweat losses are high?
- Every athlete is an individual and the level of dehydration one athlete can tolerate to the next is also different. So too is the amount of sodium we lose in sweat, in fact it is pretty much determined by our genetics. Everyone loses a different amount of sodium in their sweat, from as little as 200mg per litre of sweat to as much as 2,000mg per litre!
- Maintaining the sodium levels in your blood is crucial to performing at your best when you’re sweating for long periods.
- Sodium helps you absorb and retain fluid, which keeps your blood volume up, reducing cardiovascular strain and fatigue.
- It can also help you avoid cramp.
- Just drinking water when you’re sweating over long periods dilutes your sodium levels, which can really impact your performance and could lead to hyponatreamia (low blood sodium). A recent study found 10% of athletes had hyponatremia at the end of an Ironman. So it’s important to neither drink too little nor too much.
Take a sodium sweat test for £120
Getting hydration right is proven to improve performance, with one study showing athletes taking in the right amount of sodium finishing a half Ironman an average of 26 minutes faster than those who didn't!
If you want to know exactly how much sodium you’re losing in your sweat so you can more accurately replace some of what you’re losing; contact us about an advanced sodium sweat test. We’ll fully personalise your hydration strategy, giving you the knowledge and tools you need to stay hydrated so you can perform at your best.
Free Discovery Call
“Let us find out more about you; the key outcomes from working together, your main challenges, and how we can help you optimize your performance in sport and life.” — Claire FudgeGET IN TOUCH
Get in touch
Let us start optimising you
for Life and Sport
Optimising you for sport and life